1. The three R's of bring thrifty: Recycle, Re purpose and Reuse
I try to save everything that could possibly be re-used. Here are some top ones that most throw away:
- Soda bottles. 20 ounce bottles get used for rabbit water bottles. The 2 liter bottles get used to store things like rice and beans. Wash them with a little bleach water and then let dry well. Use a funnel to pour in your stuff to be stored.
- Creamer bottles: Wash and then dry they are great for storing your spices in.
- Old bread sacks. I get my friends to save me their bread sacks to store my own in.
- 4. egg cartons. I also have people save these for me. They are great to package my own eggs or use them when you are taking something apart to keep small parts organized and labeled.
- Newspapers: These can be used for new chicks, making fire logs, used as weed barrier. The comics make great wrapping paper.
- scrap wood from local builders. Many a projects have been done with scrap lumber like nest boxes, gates etc. You might have to pull out a few nails but hey it's free.
- pill bottles: these are great for storing things like pins and the small ones are great for pre-measuring black powder for primitive firearms.
- Butter bowls, cottage cheese containers etc. Redneck Tupperware!!!
- Frosting buckets from the local bakery... Why pay for a food safe bucket when you can get them for free!
2. Hang out your clothes. The sun is alot cheaper than the dryer.
3. Get a goat... My milk costs me less than $1 a gallon figuring feed costs. A gallon of milk in town is $4.29. I can make cheese for about 10% of what it would cost at the store.
4. Cook from scratch. Buy ingredients rather than ready to serve meals. You can make your own TV dinners by freezing left overs or canning them for an open the jar meal!
5. Dollar stores... It is so much cheaper to go to the Dollar General than to Wal-Mart
6. Use coupons Many stores will double coupons but only use them on things you would normally buy. Don't buy something just because you have a coupon.
7. Price Match. I check the online ads for all of the local stores and write down the best prices. Then I go to Wal-mart and tell them about it. Potatoes at Wal-Mart was $3.97 Save-alot in the next town had them for $2.95 it saved me a dollar and I didn't have to drive. The stores usually have to be within 20 miles to get the price match.
8. Thrift stores and Yard sales... I just today bot a wooden over the toilet shelf for $2 cost at Wal-Mart $69.97 I have to tighten the screws but hey the new one I would've had to put together. I refuse to pay full price for clothes. Many times people sell gently used things that are still just as good as something new.
9. Ebay.. I always check Ebay before I go buy something. For example the cost to buy a new all metal cream separator over $1200 I got one on ebay that works like a champ and looks new even though it is 80 years old for $175.
10. Craigslist.org has a free section and also classifieds for sale. I have bought many things there ALOT cheaper than at the store. And gotten them free.
11. Freecycle.org My latest score 6 dozen canning jars for FREE Cost to buy $60
12. Clearance and after season sales. Buy your next years Halloween stuff on November 1st same with Thanks giving and Christmas. Buy your bathing suit when Wal-Mart has them for $2 or $3 instead of $25 the next year. My latest score beginning of summer I bought my daughter several pairs of jeans and long sleeved shirts for $2 or less at Wal-Mart
13. Factory Company stores: I buy my Little Debbies at their company store. They have boxes that are damaged for 50 cents a box. I buy Simmons Chicken battered and ready to fry 5lbs for $5.95. The Allens store always has their canned goods way cheap also.
14. Grow your own food and can it yourself. You can get alot of veges from a $1 pack of seed. You do not need acreage to do it. Containers on a patio will produce a bunch.
Well that's not all but its a list long enough for you to get the idea. Oh also if it breaks research and maybe you can fix it yourself rather than paying someone to do it!!!