Saturday, November 17, 2012

Update on Star, Our adopted 30+ year old horse

ROTTEN!!!
About 7 months ago we adopted a horse.  The people told us she was about 20 years old.  She was super skinny with all her bones sticking out and you could count every rib from 10 feet away.  I noticed she was dropping her grain and having trouble eating so I got the dentist out here.  That was 6 months ago.  The dentist fixed her teeth.  She said they were in really bad shape and one even fell out in her hand.  She told me that Star was 30+ years old.
I have been feeding her lots of grain and weight gain powder plus alfalfa and all the grass she can eat.  She is now much fatter and VERY barn sour....
November 2012 looking better
Before you could see every vertebra, every rib and all of the bones in her hips.
November 2012 much fatter
These pictures where taken from about 3 feet away from her.  You can see the difference, The picture's below was when we first got her and I was about 10 feet away.
Day one

When we first got Star

I like the ones now better.  See how you can see the bones in the pictures just above but in the pictures I took today in the top of the post she looks MUCH better.

Now I just have a horse that is so spoiled she wants no part of being ridden.  I was scared to put a saddle on her and put any weight on her when she was skinny so we didn't try to ride her and now she refuses to move...  Except to the barn or the feeder!!!

Anybody out there have any ideas on how to un-sour a horse???

No comments:

Post a Comment